Spring is coming and we are expected to have an above average spring and summer temperature-wise. This could mean more storms and we know what more storms mean – more hail and wind. The wind, especially, is the biggest enemy of some fence types, particularly privacy fences that have some height on them and the wind blows against them.
However, it’s not just the wind that is an enemy of your fence – tree branches are as well. As the season progresses into summer, you may find that vine is your worst enemy because of how it can latch onto a fence and pull on it or leave unsightly markings.
Here are some things you can do to protect your fence:
- If there are tree branches hanging out over top of the fence, it can pay to cut those back. A bad storm can blow the branches and break them off.
- If your neighbor has a tree hanging over your fence, you may ask them if they can trim it back. You could offer to share the cost or completely pay so they don’t have to worry about anything. Their tree destroying your fence would be much more difficult for both of you to deal with than simply trimming back some branches.
- If your fence requires staining or any type of treatment, go ahead and have it done.
- If the paint is fading, it’s time for a new paint job.
- You may want to opt for fence repair services if your fence is leaning in any way or seems loose. A loose or leaning fence is one that can blow over when a storm moves through. If you do experience a fallen fence, then you can call a fence repair service to rectify the problem.
- Pull any old vine off of the fence. The fence may have to be repainted.
- Watch out for vine growth and try and deter it. The best way is to use a weed killer that will kill vine, but make sure it is not a chemical that is going to damage your fence.
To determine whether or not your fence needs repair services, look around the base of the posts to make sure they are structurally sound. If you have a concrete base and it is cracked, the concrete base may need to be repaired or replaced. If a post is weak, then just the post may need to be replaced. How much maintenance a fence needs can depend on how serious the weather is and the fence type. After a major storm hits, it is not uncommon for a lot of fencing to have to be repaired or replaced. This is one of the reasons why the summer becomes one of the busiest months for fencing companies.
So make sure your fence is ready to go. If you are ever in doubt, there are professionals at your disposal to help you out. Your fence is a major investment, so you want to make sure you preserve it for as long as possible.